[B-Greek] Koine prayer books

Steve Puluka steve at puluka.com
Thu Jul 21 06:38:28 EDT 2005

 > Steve Puluka wrote:
 >>
 >> Vaporis, N Michael, ed. Daily prayers for Othodox Christians.
 >> Brookline, MA: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 1986.  ISBN 0-917651-02-2
 >>
 > trepp at telus.net wrote:
 >
 > Steve, is this ISBN for the 100 page book? If so, would you please
 > supply me with the name of the 1000+ page Synekdemos info? And do you
 > know of other publishers that supply such volumes (that is, works in
 > Koine or Byzantine Greek - preferably with English translations to
 > these texts)? Thank you, Travis Jackson

Sorry for the lack of clarity.  The book above is the diglot with 100
pages of Greek text facing 100 pages of English translation.

The full Synekdemos is over 1000 pages fully in Greek.  I don't own a
copy of this book myself, so I don't have the full information handy.
I've only seen them sold through small Orthodox bookstores in the
states.  The people I know with a copy purchased them on trips to Greece.

You can see the catalog record for several published versions at Holy
Cross Greek Orthodox Seminary Libary.

http://www.hellenic.hchc.edu/pages/library/

Click on the catalog link and enter Synekdemos in a title search.

Another liturgical book that may be of reading interest to some is the
Synaxarion.  This contains a brief lives of the saints or story of a
feast that are read at services for the feast day.  If Greek lyric
poetry is your thing, then the Triodion (lent), Pentecostarion (Easter
to Pentecost) or Menaion (feasts of the year) are the ticket.

--
Steve Puluka
Masters Student, SS Cyril & Methodius Seminary