[B-Greek] A Greek Pedagogical Question

Barry nebarry at verizon.net
Thu Jul 21 06:25:07 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eddie Mishoe" <edmishoe at yahoo.com>
To: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 10:11 PM
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] A Greek Pedagogical Question

>> Learning Greek deductively (i.e. through paradigms,
>> grammars, and syntax) is hard work, but its tried,
> tested, and true.>
>
> ---------
>
> I am in general agreement with Dr. Conrad's and Dr.
> Buth's statements on this issue.
>
> I simply want to add that reading grammars like ATR
> (Winer, Moulton, Smyth, etc) for example can propel
> you years ahead of those who don't read grammars.
> Reading is critical, lots of it. But taking advantage
> of the cumulative years of study of these scholars
> will advance in ways non-grammar readers will (n)ever
> know. Read lots of Greek; read lots of grammars.

I agree, but reading Greek comes first.  I have had too many interactions with
those who have read the grammars, but who lack sufficient skill to read Greek,
and it is amazing the use to which they can put the grammars to defend arcane
theological points.  If one has well developed ability in Greek, then the
grammars make a great deal more sense, and themselves may be interpreted and
applied properly.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Adjunct Faculty, The Center for Urban Theological Studies
         Philadelphia, PA
http://www.cuts.edu
Visiting Faculty, Reformed Theological Seminary
         Washington, D.C.
http://www.rts.edu/campuses/washington_dc/index.cfm

And me:
http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry/

Opinions expressed by author of this message do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of the institutions listed above...