[B-Greek] Lk 5:17 hOI with no antecedent?

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Wed Jul 20 14:57:49 EDT 2005

On Jul 20, 2005, at 1:04 PM, Oun Kwon wrote:

> Lk 5:17 hOI with no antecedent?
>
>  First, here is the text
>  LK 05-17 KAI EGENETO EN MIA TWN hHMERWN KAI AUTOS HN DIDASKWN
>
> KAI HSAN KAQHMENOI FARISAIOI KAI NOMODIDASKALOI
>
> *hOI *HSAN ELHLUQOTES EK PASHS KWMHS THS GALILAIAS KAI IOUDAIAS KAI
> IEROUSALHM
>
> KAI DUNAMIS KURIOU HN EIS TO IASQAI *AUTOS *{/AUTON}
>
>   Lk 5:17 is somewhat confusing if I follow the usual translation.
> When the
> last word of the verse AUTOS (a variant instead of AUTON) seems
> referring to
> the whole hOI clause, that is Jesus was healing them who were from
> everywhere. Because the statement that the Pharisees and Soferim
> are from
> everywhere des not make much sense. Neither these are the ones
> receiving
> healing.
>
>  My question is:
>
> Does the Gk allow me to disconnect hOI clause from the preceding one?
> Then I like to render as beginning a new sentence as
>   'Those who were from everywhere indeed power of Lord was there to
> heal
> them.'
>
>  Note: 'everywhere' is a shorthand of 'every village of the Galilee
> and
> Judea and Jerusalem'

No, you can't do that; this hOI clause would then be left without a
predicate altogether. Rather:

(a) the antecedent of the hOI clause has to be FARISAIOI KAI
NOMODIDASKALOI;

(b) if AUTON is correct it must be the SUBJECT of IASQAI ("The Lord's
power was for him to be healing."); I don't see AUTOS indicated as an
alternative to AUTON at the end of the verse; rather AUTOUS appears
to be what later editors 'emended" AUTON to, so as to make it "The
Lord's power was for him to heal them."

You might do well to look at note 60 in the NET version of this text.

cwconrad at ioa.com or cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/