[B-Greek] Lk 5:17 hOI with no antecedent?

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 13:04:01 EDT 2005

Lk 5:17 hOI with no antecedent?

 First, here is the text
 LK 05-17 KAI EGENETO EN MIA TWN hHMERWN KAI AUTOS HN DIDASKWN

KAI HSAN KAQHMENOI FARISAIOI KAI NOMODIDASKALOI

*hOI *HSAN ELHLUQOTES EK PASHS KWMHS THS GALILAIAS KAI IOUDAIAS KAI
IEROUSALHM

KAI DUNAMIS KURIOU HN EIS TO IASQAI *AUTOS *{/AUTON}

  Lk 5:17 is somewhat confusing if I follow the usual translation. When the
last word of the verse AUTOS (a variant instead of AUTON) seems referring to
the whole hOI clause, that is Jesus was healing them who were from
everywhere. Because the statement that the Pharisees and Soferim are from
everywhere des not make much sense. Neither these are the ones receiving
healing.

 My question is:

Does the Gk allow me to disconnect hOI clause from the preceding one?
Then I like to render as beginning a new sentence as
  'Those who were from everywhere indeed power of Lord was there to heal
them.'

 Note: 'everywhere' is a shorthand of 'every village of the Galilee and
Judea and Jerusalem'

 Thankfully,

 Oun Kwon