[B-Greek] Koine prayer books (Steve Puluka)

trepp at telus.net trepp at telus.net
Wed Jul 20 12:55:15 EDT 2005

Steve Puluka wrote:

> A nice daily prayerbook that is a diglot Greek/English is published by
> Holy Cross.  The book has about 100 pages of prayers that are dual
> numbered, the Greek and English share text and page numbers.  This is a
> basic collection of daily prayers.  These are excerpted from the
> Synekdemos, the standard peoples prayer volume from the Greek tradition.
>   I always liked the idea of a prayerbook being a traveling companion.
> The full Synekdemos covers the full year with variable parts and is over
> a 1,000 pages.
>
> The Symbol of Faith
> Morning prayers
> Prayers at mealtime
> Prayers before sleep
> The six Psalms (the core of Matins)
> Small Compline
> Preparation for Holy Communion
> Thanksgiving following Holy Communion
>
> Vaporis, N Michael, ed. Daily prayers for Othodox Christians. Brookline,
> MA: Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 1986.
>
> ISBN 0-917651-02-2
Steve, is this ISBN for the 100 page book? If so, would you please supply me
with the name of the 1000+ page Synekdemos info? And do you know of other
publishers that supply such volumes (that is, works in Koine or Byzantine
Greek - preferably with English translations to these texts)?
Thank you,
Travis Jackson