[B-Greek] Abbreviation

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Sun Jul 17 10:49:46 EDT 2005

On Jul 17, 2005, at 8:02 AM, Jim West wrote:

> Here's my original question-
>
> What does the Latin abbreviation Vt. mean when it precedes a name?
>
> I don't see how that's substantially different than the most recent
> rephrasing of exactly the same sentence.  The only further
> information is that its on an inscription.  Which does not seem to
> add any important information.
>
> Carl Conrad wrote:
>

>>> No- it's a latin inscription and the letters are Vt.  (including the
>>> period).  And Vt. comes right before a name.

>> Well, knowing it's an inscription gives us a little bit more of
>> context than the original question (upon reading which I thought
>> it  was in a critical apparatus).
>>

> Why would it be a critical apparatus if it preceded a name- as was
> indicated in the original posting?

You gave us absolutely no information about the context in your
original posting. From what you did give, it seems to me as likely
that it could have been in a critical apparatus as well as in any
other document. Evidently you can't tell us what the name is (for
example, whether it's a Roman or otherwise ancient name or a modern
name, nor can you tell us anything more about the inscription, such
as its probable dating, whether ancient, medieval or modern; it's
been suggested that you cite a couple sentences of the text, but your
question seems more like a challenging riddle than a serious request
for assistance.

cwconrad at ioa.com or cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/