[B-Greek] Abbreviation

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Sun Jul 17 07:53:20 EDT 2005

On Jul 17, 2005, at 7:38 AM, Jim West wrote:

> No- it's a latin inscription and the letters are Vt.  (including the
> period).  And Vt. comes right before a name.
>
> Wayne Leman wrote:
>> VT Vetus Testamentum. ??

Well, knowing it's an inscription gives us a little bit more of
context than the original question (upon reading which I thought it
was in a critical apparatus). So we're talking epigraphy rather than
palaeography or textual abbreviations. BUT: it's hard to imagine a
Latin inscription that has an upper-case "V" followed by a lower-case
"t"; one would expect a Latin inscription to be all in upper-case in
which case we'd have VT = "ut." As for the period, many Latin
inscriptions used periods as word separators, not as indicators of an
abbreviation, so it may not be an abbreviation at all. One would need
to know a lot more about this inscription to offer an intelligent
answer.

cwconrad at ioa.com or cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/