[B-Greek] Gal 2:16 OU ... EAN MH

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Sun Jul 17 03:55:08 EDT 2005

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 23:19:49 -0400 Oun Kwon <kwonbbl at gmail.com> writes:
> Gal 2:16 OU DIKAIOUTAI ANQRWPOS EX ERGWN NOMOU EAN MH DIA PISTEWS
> CRISTOU
> IHSOU
>  Mostly is translated in negative expression as in KJV:
>
> *'not justified by works of law, but only through faith'*
>
> 1. My question one is:
>
> If I rearrange it as *'justified not by works of law ',*
>  I am making addition effect which is not in Greek?
>
> 2. My question two is:
> After changing it into active from passive voice in English,
> **
> *'Works of the law do not justify a person, except through faith.'*
>
>  then render it in positive expression
> ** *'one is justified out-of the works of law through faith' *
> *or 'works of law justifies a person through faith'. *Does Gk allow
> me to do
> this?
>
>  I would appreciate if you can enlighten me,
>
>  Oun Kwon
____________________

EIDOTES [DE] hOTI OU DIKAIOUTAI ANQRWPOS EC ERGWN NOMOU EAN MH DIA
PISTEWS IHSOU XRISTOU . . .

What we have here is two statements regarding justification rolled into
one.

1.  OU DIKAIOUTAI ANQRWPOS EC ERGWN NOMOU
      A man is not justified by works of the Law

2.  OU DIKAIOUTAI ANQRWPOS . . . EAN MH DIA PISTEWS IHSOU XRISTOU
     A man is not justified except by trust in Jesus Christ.

I'm not sure what you want to accomplish by transmogrifying this into a
positive expression.  #1 seems to be incapable of being changed.  No
matter how you slice it, it is still negative "the Law does not justify a
man."  I suppose one could change #2 to read "A man is only justified by
trust in Jesus Christ", but then, this isn't a translation of the passage
but rather a restatement of the data which the passage transmits.  I know
Wayne Leman will probably object to this,, but, in the common usage (i.e.
not the linguists "correct" usage) of the term "paraphrase", this would
be a paraphrase of Paul's statement.

george
gfsomsel