[B-Greek] Revelation 1:18

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Tue Jul 12 15:56:02 EDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:07:53 +0000 "Stephen Baldwin"
<stbaldwi at hotmail.com> writes:
> Ladies and Gentlemen:
> This is my first posting to this forum. I'm grateful for its
> existence and
> look forward to learning.
> Just to introduce myself, I am not a professional theologian. Just a
>
> software engineer who would die to be able to study this stuff more.
> I've
> just completed a basic NTG course.
>
> In chatting to some JWs recently, we discussed Rev 1:18 where the
> First and
> the Last states that "I was dead" (NIV). In the New World
> "translation",
> "became dead". Looking in my GNT it is written
>
> EGENOMHN NEKROS
>
> The usage of GINOMAI struck me as curious and the notion of
> "becoming dead".
> Would a use of EIMI NEKROS have worked too? Should we understand
> "becoming
> dead" as being in the state of deadness? I'd be interested to read
> any
> thoughts regarding this, regarding the use of GINOMAI as an
> auxiliary verb
> etc. Also, if you have any references that discuss these types of
> questions,
> I'd be pleased to hear from you.
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen Baldwin
> stbaldwi at hotmail.com

KAI hO ZWN, KAI E-GENOMHN NEKROS KAI IDOU ZWN EIMI EIW TOUS AIWNAS TWN
AIWNWN KAI EXW TAS KLEIS TOU QANATOU KAI TOU AiDOU.

If you check a good lexicon such as BDAG (and if you don't have this, get
it), you will find that the concept which connects the usages ("come into
being", "to change location", etc.) is that of a change of state or
place.  He IS the living one, but he BECAME dead, and now he is alive.
The significance is the (temporary) change of state.

george
gfsomsel