[B-Greek] Revelation 1:18

Stephen Baldwin stbaldwi at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 12 15:07:53 EDT 2005

Ladies and Gentlemen:
This is my first posting to this forum. I'm grateful for its existence and
look forward to learning.
Just to introduce myself, I am not a professional theologian. Just a
software engineer who would die to be able to study this stuff more. I've
just completed a basic NTG course.

In chatting to some JWs recently, we discussed Rev 1:18 where the First and
the Last states that "I was dead" (NIV). In the New World "translation",
"became dead". Looking in my GNT it is written

EGENOMHN NEKROS

The usage of GINOMAI struck me as curious and the notion of "becoming dead".
Would a use of EIMI NEKROS have worked too? Should we understand "becoming
dead" as being in the state of deadness? I'd be interested to read any
thoughts regarding this, regarding the use of GINOMAI as an auxiliary verb
etc. Also, if you have any references that discuss these types of questions,
I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Thanks

Stephen Baldwin
stbaldwi at hotmail.com