Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Mon Jul 11 07:02:20 EDT 2005

On Jul 11, 2005, at 1:04 AM, robert thompson wrote:

> Greetings

> appear to
> mean the same thing "oneness" or "one". I have noticed in cases
> where plural
> number of things exist in a verse, that the words <heis> or <mia>
> may deepen
> to mean "a system of oneness" or "compound unity", meaning the
> "one" is part
> of a "system".

hEIS, MIA, and hEN are respectively the masculine, feminine and
neuter nominative forms of the same word which is equivalent to
English "one." You really should consult a good Greek lexicon; for NT
Greek the best is BDAG (A Greek - English Lexicon of the New
Testament and other Early Christian Literature— THIRD EDITION —), to
get a clear sense of the different ways in which hEIS, MIA, hEN is
commonly used.

> Example 1

> <para>
> was <en>
> Andrew <Andreas>, Simon <Simon> Peter's <Petros> brother
> <adelphos>. (KJV)
>  40 hn andreaV o adeljoV simwnoV petrou eiV ek twn duo twn
> akousantwn para
> iwannou kai akolouqhsantwn autw (TR)
>
> For example : John 1:40 lists two people, one <heis> was a "the one
> person
> was a system of brothers"....
>
> Am I correct in making this hypothesis with all occurences of
> <heis> or
> <mia> like this ?

As I said above, you really should look at a good NT Greek lexicon;
it looks to me like you're attempting to extrapolate the meaning of
hEIS from an interlinear translation or from Strong's numbers. Do you
actually know any Greek apart from what you're surmising from these
words? The text in question reads: HN ANDREAS hO ADELFOS SIMWNOS
PETROU hEIS EK TWN DUO TWN AKOUSANTWN PARA IWANNOU KAI AKOLOUQHSANTWN
AUTWi. Here the snese of hEIS EK TWN DUO is completed by the
participial complements TWN AKOUSANTWN PARA IWANNOU KAI
AKOLOUQHSANTWN AUTWi and so means "one of the two who had heard from
John and had followed him." There's nothing in this phrase to
indicate that "the two who had heard" were brothers, but only that
there were two that had heard and that Andrew was one of them. The
information that Andrew was the brother of Simon Peter simply helps
to identify Andrew; it doesn't indicate that Simon Peter was the
other who had heard--it may be true that he was the other who heard,
but this Greek text does not say that.

\

cwconrad at ioa.com or cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/