robert thompson rthom7 at eq.edu.au
Mon Jul 11 01:04:33 EDT 2005

Greetings

mean the same thing "oneness" or "one". I have noticed in cases where plural
number of things exist in a verse, that the words <heis> or <mia> may deepen
to mean "a system of oneness" or "compound unity", meaning the "one" is part
of a "system".

Example 1

Andrew <Andreas>, Simon <Simon> Peter's <Petros> brother <adelphos>. (KJV)
 40 hn andreaV o adeljoV simwnoV petrou eiV ek twn duo twn akousantwn para
iwannou kai akolouqhsantwn autw (TR)

For example : John 1:40 lists two people, one <heis> was a "the one person
was a system of brothers"....

Am I correct in making this hypothesis with all occurences of <heis> or
<mia> like this ?

Example 2

 11 kai ouk eti eimi en tw kosmw kai outoi en tw kosmw eisin kai egw proV se
ercomai pater agie thrhson autouV en tw onomati sou ouV dedwkaV moi ina wsin
en kaqwV hmeiV (TR)

In this example two beings are described (Father and Jesus) , thus the use
of <heis> suggests that Jesus is oneness with the Father, in a GOD "like
system of deities" ?  Again is the use of plurality of nouns with <heis> a
correct understanding in verses like these ?

Any help appreciated.
Rob