[B-Greek] Traditional Greek grammar (was: Ephesians 5:5 "TOU XRISTOU KAI QEOU")

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Sun Jul 10 15:13:56 EDT 2005

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:13:39 +0200 "Iver Larsen" <iver at larsen.dk> writes:
> > I will continue to follow the traditional Greek grammar.
> >
> > george
> > gfsomsel
>
> This is another topic, but I don't anticipate any further
> discussion, and
> I'll only comment briefly.
> No one is forcing you to adopt any new theories. As far as I know,
> traditional Greek grammar has been unable to explain the function of
> Greek
> word order, and it is a challenging task to attempt to do so.
> However, the
> principle of "left-emphasis" was expounded long before modern
> linguistics by
> Joseph Rotherham in 1878 in his book The New Testament Critically
> Emphasized. What happened before that, I don't know.
>
> Iver Larsen
___________

Iver,

I didn't say that some new theories are not in order or that they are
entirely without value even now.  What I am saying is that it has not yet
developed an established foundation on which to base solid conclusions.
This may come in time and a few things are no doubt relatively
established.  Keep debating with those who choose to pursue these views.
In the meantime, I'm not abandoning a relatively established body of
knowledge.  Hippocrates was practicing medicine long before Lister which
is also some time before today.  There have been many advances.
Meanwhile there were many missteps, but today we have a valuable
"science" of medicine.  As with medicine, there is a great deal of "art"
in the understanding of Greek texts; it is not an exact science.  I'm
simply concerned with a perceived tendency to abandon established results
to chase some will-o-the-wisp.

george
gfsomsel