[B-Greek] Granville Sharp (was: Ephesians 5:5 "TOU XRISTOU KAI QEOU")

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Sun Jul 10 06:43:02 EDT 2005

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:23:19 +0200 "Iver Larsen" <iver at larsen.dk> writes:
> Hi, Oun,
>
> Just a quick response. Please check the thread from July 28-29, 2004
> under
> the title 2 Thess.1:12
>
> Iver Larsen
>
> > On 7/9/05, Iver Larsen <iver at larsen.dk> wrote:
> > > In my opinion, the so-called Granville Sharp rule in its
> > various forms is at  best superfluous and at worst misleading.
> >

> > Hi, Iver,
> >
> > Can you give me some examples and forms of the misleading?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Oun Kwon.
___________________

Iver,

The thread which you cite continues on into August, 2004.  In it you
discount the traditional grammar and rely instead upon pragmatics,
Discourse Analysis and Relevance Theory.  This is certainly not the first
time and I'm equally sure that it won't be the last time that we find
ourselves in disagreement.  I find these new disciplines to be entirely
too subjective.  An instance of this is to be found in a recent thread
regarding "Word order in Aesop" and "Predicate as topic."  These threads
illustrate the subjective nature of the practice which reminds me of the
phrase "each did what was right in his own eyes."  Perhaps some day these
disciplines will establish a clear method and principles, but at this
stage it reminds me of the situation of medicine at the time that Lister
was encouraging doctors to wash their hands between treating patients.  I
will continue to follow the traditional Greek grammar.

george
gfsomsel