[B-Greek] [O]TI at Mt 7:14

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Sat Jul 9 18:48:38 EDT 2005

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 17:51:59 -0400 Oun Kwon <kwonbbl at gmail.com> writes:
> On 7/9/05, George F Somsel <gfsomsel at juno.com> wrote:
> > The Word Bible Commentary notes that  ...
>
> Side questions:
>
> (1) Is the 'Word Bible Commentary'  (single volume) worthy of
> having?
>
> (2) What about the bookongous 'Word Biblical Commentary'
> (58-volume)?
> Since I don't have physical space any more allowed by my wife, the
> only one I am for is CD version to use with Logos (at $700!!) which
> would cost  my wife's peace and my fortune on social security
> income.
>
> Oun Kwon,
>
> P.S.  Synonym for humongous for books.
______________

I know nothing about a single volume WBC (Is there such an animal?).  The
only one volume commentary I ever found that I cared for was Peake's
(It's a large format book with small print so it is actually much larger
than the fact that it's one volume would indicate).  Any single volume
commentary will be quite limited.  I have the 58 volume  Logos version of
the WBC which I got for somewhat less on prepublication.  Personally, I'm
not a big fan of the WBC.  It has some good points, but the layout of the
electronic version is not one of them.  It follows the layout of the
print version.  In an electronic version it makes absolutely no sense
since the notes are available as a pop-up or on mouse-over to have the
notes printed so that it is necessary to page through them after reading
the translation.  I complained about this and was told by the president
of Logos that this was done in accordance with the wishes of the
publisher (Thomas Nelson).  I actually find some of the older
commentaries such as those by Westcott, Swete, and Lightfoot to be more
to my liking -- but these don't have the latest scholarship so both are
really necessary.  I'm expecting to soon get the New International Greek
Testament Commentary (NIGTC) in Logos, but it isn't yet completed even in
print form.  Beale's commentary on Revelation in this series is a true
tour de force -- one almost needs a truck to carry it (but then Charles'
ICC commentary on Revelation was in two volumes while Beale is in one).

george
gfsomsel