[B-Greek] 2 Corinthians 7:10-11

Paul Toseland toseland at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jul 9 15:03:30 EDT 2005

Iver and Edward,

I cannot fault your logic, Iver! But Paul's modes of thought and
argumentation, though careful and precise, often have more in common
with poetry than with the propositional logic that characterises
modern scholarship. In 7:11, by means of a parallel statement, he
specifies the Corinthians' repentance as SPOUDH ('earnest commitment
in discharge of an obligation or experience of a relationship',
BDAG s.v. 2):

7:10 KATA THEON LUPH MATANOIAN ... ERGAZETAI
7:11 KATA THEON LUPHQHNAI POSHN KATEIRGASATO hUMIN SPOUDHN

He then celebrates the church's change of heart in the following ALLA
APOLOGIAN, etc., speicifying further the form that their METANOIA took
in this particular instance. The KATA QEON LUPH that produced their
METANOIA was brought about by a prior letter to the church (7:8), the
purpose of which is specified in 7:12,

EGRAYA ... ENEKEN TOU FANERWQHNAI *THN SPOUDHN hUMWN THN huPER hHMWN*
PROS hUMAS ENWPION TOU QEOU.

In 2:4, Paul spells out that the purpose of this letter had not been
to cause them pain: EGRAYA hUMIN ... OUC LUPHQHTE. His purpose, rather,
was to bring abouit a repentance characterised by SPOUDH hUPER hHMWN.
This SPOUDH led to the expulsion of a certain offender (cf. 2:5-11),
and it is this outcome, together with its godly motivation, that Paul
celebrates in 7:11.

My apologies for my excursus well beyond the immediate conntext of
the passage under consideration. I hope this was acceptable, in this
particular instance.

Best regards,
Paul Toseland PhD

_______________________________________

Iver Larsen wrote:

>Thus, I conclude by asking does "earnestness, defense, indignation,
>fear, longing, zeal, vindication" describe METANOIA rather than
>KATA > THEON LUPH?

I would say: neither.
That A produces B and A produces C does not allow the logical conclusion
that B is equal to C or that B and C necessarily describe each other.
It is possible, though, that A (Godly grief) produces C through the
intermediate step of B (repentance). Logically speaking, if A implies B
and B implies C, then A implies C.

Iver Larsen
Bible Translation Consultant