[B-Greek] 2 Corinthians 7:10-11

Iver Larsen iver at larsen.dk
Sat Jul 9 04:39:48 EDT 2005

> >From a pastoral point of view, I recognize that I am splitting hairs - if
> one has godly sorrow one also comes to repentance and thus exihibits
> earnestness/eagerness, clearing of one's self, indignation, fear, longing,
> etc. However, does the grammar warrant this consideration:
>     Godly sorrow     produces     repentance
>     Godly sorrow     produces     earnestness, clearing of one's self,
> indignation, fear, longing, zeal, vindication

Yes, Godly sorrow is the subject in both, and two similar verbs meaning
"produce" are used.

> Thus, I conclude by asking does "earnestness, defense, indignation, fear,
> longing, zeal, vindication" describe METANOIA rather than KATA
> THEON LUPH?

I would say: neither.
That A produces B and A produces C does not allow the logical conclusion
that B is equal to C or that B and C necessarily describe each other.
It is possible, though, that A (Godly grief) produces C through the
intermediate step of B (repentance). Logically speaking, if A implies B and
B implies C, then A implies C.

Iver Larsen