[B-Greek] 2 Corinthians 7:10-11

malcolm robertson mjriii2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 8 11:15:31 EDT 2005

Dear Edward,

In my humble opinion this Pauline description is both descriptive and indicative of one and the same event complex.

KATA QEON LUPH = METANOIA (a thinking after) and is indicated as producing the fruits (consequences) of both the conviction (LUPH) and its outworkings hUMIN SPOUDHN ALLA APOLOGIAN ALLA AGANAKTHSIN ALLA FOBON ALLA EPIPOQHSIN ALLA ZHLON ALLA EKDIKHSIN.

The fact and the results of such KATA QEON LUPH are both expressly acknowledged by Paul NUN CAIRW (vs 9) and EN PANTI SUNESTHSATE hEAUTOUS hAGNOUS EINAI TWi PRAGMATI (vs 11).

Cordially in Christ,

Malcolm Robertson

___________________________

Edward Anton <edwardanton at cox.net> wrote:
I'm interested to see whether I'm pressing this parallel too far:

v.10 ...KATA THEON LUPH MATANOIAN ... ERGAZETAI

...KOSMOU LUPH THANATON KATERGAZETAI

v. 11...KATA THEON LUPTHANAI POSHN KATEIRGASATO hUMIN SPOUDHN, ALLA
APOLOGIAN, ALLA ...

I've traditionally considered the descriptors in v. 11 to be characteristics
of godly sorrow (KATA THEON LUPTHANAI). However, I noticed that in verse 10,
godly sorrow produces (ERGAZETAI) repentance. Then in verse 11 godly sorrow
produces (KATEIRGASATO) SPOUDHN, ALLA APOLOGIAN, ALLA AGANAKTHSIN, ALLA ...
Does this construction point to the idea that the descriptors in v. 11
actually describe repentance (METANOIA) rather than godly sorrow?

>From a pastoral point of view, I recognize that I am splitting hairs - if
one has godly sorrow one also comes to repentance and thus exihibits
earnestness/eagerness, clearing of one's self, indignation, fear, longing,
etc. However, does the grammar warrant this consideration:
Godly sorrow produces repentance
Godly sorrow produces earnestness, clearing of one's self,
indignation, fear, longing, zeal, vindication

Thus, I conclude by asking does "earnestness, defense, indignation, fear,
longing, zeal, vindication" describe METANOIA rather than KATA THEON LUPH?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edward J. Anton
Minister, Hampton Roads Church
(757) 971-1001 (mobile)