[B-Greek] 2 Corinthians 7:10-11

Edward Anton edwardanton at cox.net
Thu Jul 7 19:28:06 EDT 2005

I'm interested to see whether I'm pressing this parallel too far:

v.10 ...KATA THEON LUPH MATANOIAN ... ERGAZETAI

    ...KOSMOU LUPH THANATON KATERGAZETAI

v. 11...KATA THEON LUPTHANAI POSHN KATEIRGASATO hUMIN SPOUDHN, ALLA
APOLOGIAN, ALLA ...

I've traditionally considered the descriptors in v. 11 to be characteristics
of godly sorrow (KATA THEON LUPTHANAI). However, I noticed that in verse 10,
godly sorrow produces (ERGAZETAI) repentance. Then in verse 11 godly sorrow
produces (KATEIRGASATO) SPOUDHN, ALLA APOLOGIAN, ALLA AGANAKTHSIN, ALLA ...
Does this construction point to the idea that the descriptors in v. 11
actually describe repentance (METANOIA) rather than godly sorrow?

>From a pastoral point of view, I recognize that I am splitting hairs - if
one has godly sorrow one also comes to repentance and thus exihibits
earnestness/eagerness, clearing of one's self, indignation, fear, longing,
etc. However, does the grammar warrant this consideration:
    Godly sorrow     produces     repentance
    Godly sorrow     produces     earnestness, clearing of one's self,
indignation, fear, longing, zeal, vindication

Thus, I conclude by asking does "earnestness, defense, indignation, fear,
longing, zeal, vindication" describe METANOIA rather than KATA THEON LUPH?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edward J. Anton
Minister, Hampton Roads Church
(757) 971-1001 (mobile)