[B-Greek] salt

thebodyofjesusthenazoraion at juno.com thebodyofjesusthenazoraion at juno.com
Wed Jul 6 10:19:58 EDT 2005

Eva:

Firstly the word for fishing hALIEUEIN comes from the
word for "sea" hALS (check a classical dictionary like
Liddell and Scott). It is a homonym for the hALS
meaning "salt." So a hALIEUS was one who was asociated
with the sea, i.e. a fisherman or a sailor. Secondly,
here in this context, Peter is not referring to
evangelism, he is actually going back to his original
vocation of fishing. Thirdly when Jesus does use the
metaphor "fishermen of men" (matt 4:19) to talk about
evangelism, he is merely speaking about catching the
men, not eating them. You cannot push a metaphor too far.
Kevin
NAU 47•Mt• 4:19 And He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men."
Fishers  (from biblwords 6)  <231> a`lieu,j halieus
Meaning: a fisherman
Origin: from  a[lj hals (the sea)
Usage: fishermen(3), fishers(2)
NAU 50•Joh• 10:10 "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
Why do I have to except the definition as fisherman? why not salters? Since the orgin is from hals (the seas
What about opsarion? Is this not the eggs of the fish?
NAU 50•Joh• 21:9 So when they got out on the land, they saw a charcoal fire already laid and fish <3795> ovya,rion opsarion placed on it, and bread.