[B-Greek] Searching archives: solution

Dony K. Donev dony at cupandcross.com
Tue Jul 5 13:28:47 EDT 2005

Curtis,

This is really interesting.

My experience is that close to 85% users (if not more) are Windows/IE-based
(quite surprisingly, a great number still use Windows 95). On the other
hand, little tools like yours are probably beyond the comprehension of the
average Windows user. And finally, firefox has gotten quite attention
recently with the introduction of tab browsing which for many Windows users
remains a mystery.

I am still waiting for a precise search engine that can incorporate the
present capabilities with some new ones. I am specifically interested in
getting only direct hits when searching for a given bible verse by
reference. The argument with the variety of abbreviations is the least to
say invalid. A low-level script will solve this problem by providing a list
of all abbreviations. For 66 Bible books they should not be more than
400-500 which is really a matter of a nanosecond decision on the part of the
engine. An intelligent script will limit this variations by using strings
like Ro* for Romans, Ru* for Ruth, Re* for Revelation and so on.

Dony K. Donev

Cup & Cross Ministries