[B-Greek] Ephesians 2:8

Steven Lo Vullo themelios at charter.net
Mon Jul 4 22:13:50 EDT 2005

On Jul 4, 2005, at 8:11 PM, Steven Lo Vullo wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2005, at 6:41 AM, Charles Rempel wrote:
>
>> What does Acts 17:31 add to the arguement, if anything at all?
>>
>> ... PISTIN PARASXWN PASIN ANASTHSAS AUTON EK NEKRWN
>>
>> If faith is a free gift and it is provided to all, then wouldn't all
>> be saved? (Sticking only with Greek logic, of course, and not entering
>> into theology.)
>
> Charles, I'm not sure what "Greek logic" is, but I think the above
> question deserves some comments about the semantics of PISTIS. In this
> context the ideas of subjective faith and belief simply do not make
> sense, since all in fact do not believe that God has set a day in which
> he will judge the world in righteousness by a man he has appointed.
> But, as is well known, PISTIS has a long history of meaning something
> like "proof" or "pledge," i.e., "a token offered as a guarantee of
> someth. promised" (BDAG 1.c and examples). You'll find a similar
> definition along with examples in LSJ (see also the definition in L&N).
> Taking the participial phrase as indicating means (pretty common), the
> idea is that by raising Jesus from the dead he has provided proof or a
> pledge or a guarantee to all that he will judge the world in
> righteousness by this same man whom he has appointed for this very
> thing. Thus PISTIS is objective proof or a pledge, not subjective faith
> or belief.
>
> It should also be remembered that PASIN need not mean every man, woman,
> and child alive or (worse) who has ever lived. I have written so many
> posts on this issue that I am not going to go into it again. There is
> much in the archives.

After re-reading my post, it seems that I have made a mistake in
"English logic" here. Since I do  not believe that PASIN in the above
text need mean all without exception, my initial argument is invalid. I
too easily fell in line with the assumptions of the question. However,
I think the participial phrase is decisive. It makes much more sense to
understand God's raising of Jesus from the dead as proof or a guarantee
or pledge that this same man will be the one through whom he judges the
world in righteousness than that he gave subjective faith to all after
raising Jesus from the dead or by raising Jesus from the dead.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI
MAR student
Trinity Evangelical Divinity School