[B-Greek] salt

Kevin W. Woodruff cierpke at prodigy.net
Mon Jul 4 22:12:57 EDT 2005

Eva:

Firstly the word for fishing hALIEUEIN comes from the
word for "sea" hALS (check a classical dictionary like
Liddell and Scott). It is a homonym for the hALS
meaning "salt." So a hALIEUS was one who was asociated
with the sea, i.e. a fisherman or a sailor. Secondly,
here in this context, Peter is not referring to
evangelism, he is actually going back to his original
vocation of fishing. Thirdly when Jesus does use the
metaphor "fishermen of men" (matt 4:19) to talk about
evangelism, he is merely speaking about catching the
men, not eating them. You cannot push a metaphor too
far.

Kevin

--- "thebodyofjesusthenazoraion at juno.com"