[B-Greek] salt

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Mon Jul 4 14:56:41 EDT 2005

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 17:32:16 GMT "thebodyofjesusthenazoraion at juno.com"
<thebodyofjesusthenazoraion at juno.com> writes:

> NAU 50•Joh• 21:3 Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing."
> They said to him, "We will also come with you." They went out and
> got into the boat; and that night they caught nothing.
> why use the word fishing? it is not Ichthus or opspran? It is hals
> or salt they were salters. We are called to be salters of men not
> fishers of men. I do not kill and eat the people I bring to Christ.
> I salt them
> eva

LEGEI AUTOIS SIMWN PETROS, hUPAGW hALIEUEIN.  LEGOUSIN AUTWi, ERXOMEQA
KAI hHMEIS SYN SOI.  ECHLQON KAI ENEBHSAN EIS TO PLOION, KAI EN EKEINHi
THi NUKTI EPIASAN OUDEN.

No, the word used here is not "to salt" but "to go fishing."  "To fish"
is hALIEUW, but "to salt" is hALIZW.  They do have 3 letters in common,
and both are derived from hALS, the noun signifying "salt", but they are
different words.

george
gfsomsel