[B-Greek] Philo - life of Moses

Joseph Weaks j.weaks at tcu.edu
Sun Jul 3 18:43:07 EDT 2005

On Jul 3, 2005, at 10:50 AM, kieron cronin wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what are the exact Greek words that Philo employs
> in his "Life of Moses 1-75" to render the Hebrew of Ex.3:14a
> 'ehyeh-asher-ehyeh' and 3.14b 'ehyeh'?

In Philo's "Moses", I.XIV (74):
TO MEN PRWTON LEGE QHSIN AUTOIS, hOTI EGW EIMI hO WN, hINA MAQONTES
DIAFORAN ONTOS TE KAI MH ONTOS PROSANADIDACQWSIN

"First tell them, "I am who I am," in order that they might be
instructed of the difference between that which and and that which is
not"

The LXX has the same kernel of a quote: EGW EIMI hO WN, but of course,
as usual, Philo's flamboyance prevails... That the burning bush and its
analogous representation that God's suffering people will not be
consumed by their oppression is classic... but perhaps the story of the
red cloth turning into a dragon is perhaps my favorite.

HTH,
Joe