[B-Greek] Belly

Joseph Weaks j.weaks at tcu.edu
Sun Jul 3 15:11:58 EDT 2005

On Jul 3, 2005, at 1:41 PM, George F Somsel wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:46:43 +0300 Kimmo Huovila
> <kimmo.huovila at helsinki.fi> writes:
>> What is 'belly' in Greek when reference is made to the outside of the
>> body,
>> not the internal organs, such as in expressions like 'hit/kick the
>> belly'?
>>
>> Kimmo Huovila
> ___________
>
> I find ARAIA and ASKOS.  There is also GASTRIS, but that seems to be
> pot-bellied.

I would definitely say not on ARAIOS -A -ON.  And GASTRIS is a personal
referent towards a glutton according to LSJ. The form you're looking
for, Kimmo, is GASTHR.
GASTHR is even oft used to refer to a large belly, as seen by its
metaphorical use as "gluttonous".  I think this word serves best just
because of the form GASTRIZW, which means to punch someone in the
belly.

Depending on your use, I still wouldn't preclude KOLIA, though it
focuses on the "stuff inside your belly".

Louw and Nida is great for this kind of interesting question.

Joe
Rev. Joseph A. Weaks
Ph.D. (Cand.), Brite Divinity School, Ft. Worth
j.weaks at tcu.edu

The Macintosh Biblioblog  http://macbiblioblog.blogspot.com
"All things Macintosh for the Bible Scholar"