[B-Greek] Word order, prominence, and Acts 28:31

Elizabeth Kline kline-dekoning at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 2 15:38:18 EDT 2005

On 7/2/05 11:11 AM, "Mike Sangrey" <MSangrey at BlueFeltHat.org> wrote:

> I was citing from memory
>> some authority or other who was discussing passive constructions in Ancient
>> Greek where the agent is placed into a prepositional phrase:   hUPO agent.
>> This authority made an observation that datives, genitives and all
>> prepositional phrases are "naturally" side issues (low salience) in a
>> predication. I found this statement less than totally convincing because,
>> like you, I could immediately think of counter examples. The term "natural"
>> also needs to be defined so we make sure we are all talking about the same
>> thing.
>
> This is a guess off the top of my head, but I suspect that the idea that
> "datives, genitives and all prepositional phrases are 'naturally' side
> issues" comes from the assumption that propositional truth governs
> saliency.

I don't think so. The subject was agency in passive constructions. An agent
in the clause core of an active transitive can be "demoted" by moving the
agent to a hUPO agent phrase attached to a passive. Some sort of salience
hierarchy was presented where elements within the core were more salient
than elements in a prepositional phrase. No one is claiming this is a
ironclad rule.

Elizabeth Kline