[B-Greek] Word order, prominence, and Acts 28:31

Elizabeth Kline kline-dekoning at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 1 13:19:51 EDT 2005

Ignoring the question about the special status of an element which is in
document final position, a special case, how would we view the META phrase
if it were not document final?

ACTS 28:30 ... KAI APEDECETO PANTAS TOUS EISPOREUOMENOUS PROS AUTON,  31
KHRUSSWN THN BASILEIAN TOU QEOU KAI DIDASKWN TA PERI TOU KURIOU IHSOU
CRISTOU META PASHS PARRHSIAS AKWLUTWS.

Prepositional phrases like META ktl. are outside of the clausal 'core' and
"naturally" have lower prominence than elements of the core. A prepositional
phrase can be given special attention by moving it to the front of the
clause. The pragmatic clause order suggested by Helma Dik and others like
her is: Topic Focus V X, where X stands for everything-else. So this META
phrase is exactly where we would expect it to be in the slot for
everything-else which means it is pragmatically unmarked.

Elizabeth Kline