[B-Greek] Word order, prominence, and Acts 28:31

Mike Sangrey MSangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Fri Jul 1 09:08:24 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 20:19 +0200, Iver Larsen wrote:
> Hi again, Mike.
>
> I don't think that you will be surprised that I have a different pragmatic
> reading of this verse - and consequently a different translation. (I am
> quite happy with the NLT here: proclaiming the Kingdom of God with all
> boldness and teaching about the Lord Jesus Christ. And no one tried to stop
> him.)

You're right, I'm not surprised; however, why I'm not surprised is not
obvious.  I think you'll be surprised when I say I agree with what you
say below.  In fact, in the original composition of my posting I had
said much the same thing; I deleted the paragraphs referencing the theme
of Acts because I wanted some others to help me think.  So, I completely
agree that the theme of Acts is as you say.  Also, I agree that when a
closing statement references the theme, the phrase used must have
substantial impact.

I chose this sentence because I think the discussion needs to wrestle
with some of the fundamental issues we have with what prominence is.

What I'm trying to do is get a better handle on what appears to me to be
different kinds of saliency.  There is a prominence to the thematic
statement.  There's also a prominence to the very last words.  It seems
to me that these two pieces of text are not salient in the same sense.
So, I seriously wonder about the validity of comparing the saliency of
each to the other and saying the one is more salient than the other. In
fact, as I'm now thinking about this it appears to me that the thematic
statement here has a global saliency and the prepositional phrase has a
local saliency.  However, it appears to me that the global saliency is
stronger WHEN LOOKED AT GLOBALLY (in a pragmatic sense).  But, the
prepositional phrase exhibits stronger saliency when viewed LOCALLY.

--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey AT BlueFeltHat.org
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."