[B-Greek] The Edict of Vibius Maximus

Charles Rempel CharlesR at mygalaxyexpress.com
Mon Jan 24 17:53:36 EST 2005

Richard,

A quick search on the internet found this translation by K. C. Hanson with
notes:

Gaius Vibius Maximus, the Prefect of Egypt , declares:

The census by household having begun, it is essential that all those who are
away from their nomes be summoned to return to their own hearths so that
they may perform the customary business of registration and apply themselves
to the cultivation which concerns them. Knowing, however, that some of the
people from the countryside are required by our city, I desire all those who
think they have a satisfactory reason for remaining here to register
themselves before . . . Festus, the Cavalry Commander , whom I have
appointed for this purpose, from whom those who have shown their presence to
be necessary shall receive signed permits in accordance with this edict up
to the 30th of the present month E . . .

The "Prefect of Egypt" (Latin: Prefectus) was the Roman governor over all
Egypt.

A "nome" was an Egyptian administrative district.

A "Cavalry Commander" (Latin: Prefectus Alae) was a commander of a Roman
auxiliary cavalry unit.

Charles D. Rempel
30 year student
Without Portfolio