[B-Greek] Re: Odes in LXX

Steve Puluka puluka at verizon.net
Fri Nov 19 08:54:46 EST 2004

> >On 17 Nov 2004 at 15:38, Wieland Willker wrote:
>>
>> Ode 14
>>> Its title is "Morning Hymn" and its
>>> incipit runs: Glory to God in the highest/ and peace on
>>> earth/ goodwill among humans.
>>
>> This exactly the same as in Lk 2:14. Is it dependent? What's its date?
>>
> on 11/17/04 3:32 PM, Barbara D. Colt at babc2 at comcast.net wrote:
>
> I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but I just looked at that.  Since it
> refers to :"the only begotten Son, Jesus Christ," it is obviously a
> Christian composition.  In fact, it is used in the Roman Catholic and
> Anglican  Churches, where it is known as the "Gloria in Excelsis."
> Whether it is used in the Orthodox churches I don't know.

I don't have a copy of the matins service in Greek (I serve in a Church
Slavonic tradition), but this does appear to be the "Great Doxology" that is
used during festal and Sunday matins in the Byzantine tradition.

The first nine scriptural odes in this collection are also assigned to
matins as the canon.  They are generally included in liturgical Psalters in
the east.  Although, the scriptural odes have long since been supplanted by
liturgical compositions.

I'll have to look into these other odes at some point.  I have an interest
in the development of the liturgical Psalter.  I've prepared a very basic
introduction that is posted on my web site if anyone else is interested in
the topic.

http://www.puluka.com/psalter/

--
Steve Puluka
Masters Student, SS Cyril & Methodius Seminary