[B-Greek] Archimedes palimpsest "The Method" -- progress?

Stephen C. Carlson scarlson at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 3 21:50:46 EDT 2004

At 05:07 PM 8/3/2004 -0700, Ted Shoemaker wrote:
>My questions: Does anyone know the status of the
>restoration project to date?  How much of the text is
>available to the public, either in Greek or
>translation?

The Archimedes Palimpsest is currently at the Walters
Art Museum in Baltimore, Maryland.  According to its
2003 Annual Report: "Significant progress has been made
in the conservation of the Archimedes palimpsest. Half
of the manuscript was disbound to facilitate imaging and
transcription by scientists and scholars. The biggest
challenge was developing a protocol for removing a
tenacious, intractable adhesive that had been applied
in the past to the second half of the manuscript."
http://www.thewalters.org/media/pdfs/WaltersAR2003.pdf

Their website on it, which doesn't seem to have been
updated in a while, is at:
http://www.thewalters.org/archimedes/index.html

One of the scholars working on it, Reviel Netz has
recently published an edition of Archimedes.  A review
of it by Eleanor Dickey can be found at:
http://omega.cohums.ohio-state.edu/mailing_lists/BMCR-L/2004/0278.php

Stephen Carlson
Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:scarlson at mindspring.com
Weblog:    http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/hypotyposeis/blogger.html
"Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words."  Shujing 2.35