[B-Greek] Matthew 16.18 addendum

Mike Gainor jmgainor at ec.rr.com
Sun May 25 02:55:12 EDT 2003

There was one other point I thought to raise, but forgot until after I had hit the 'send' button.

If it were so clear that Peter = petra, as so many hold today, why did none of the earliest writers who made reference to the passage (Ignatius, Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria) make mention of it, while the Shepherd of Hermas (second century) makes a clear allegory that Christ is the petra. Tertullian was the first to make the Peter = petra connection in the third century.

Just had to include that.

best regards,

Mike Gainor