[B-Greek] hALUSIDWTOS as "chain mail"? (LXX)

Albert Pietersma albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 17 11:33:08 EST 2003

Dear Rodney,
The time frame for interpretation, it seems to me, should be the date of the
Greek translation, not David's historical period. The date of the translation
is difficult to determine, but first century BC/BCE is probably not far wrong.

The word itself needs to be put in minimal context, that is to say, it is a
(descriptive) modifier of QWRAC, a  well known term  referring to armor
protecting mainly chest and abdomen. How such a piece of armor was put together
could vary according to period. It is interesting to note that QWRAC  *by
itself* can indeed refer to scale armor (see LSJ).

hALUSIDWTOS is used to define what sort of QWRAC the Greek translator had in
mind. Since there is nothing in the Hebrew that suggests 'chain,' it is
legitimate to conclude that the translator is here drawing on his own knowledge
and experience. Since, as you say, the word is clearly derived from hALUSIS
'chain' (+ verbal adj. of DIDWMI), one can confidently gloss it as 'wrought of
chain'  or 'wrought in chain-fashion' (LEH).

Was such armour known in the time period of our translator?  The answer is a
clear Yes, since at least from Polybius onward (II BC) we have references to
hALUSIDWTOS QWPAC. Eupolemos (a Jewish writer of II BC)  uses it as well
(34.11).
Al