[B-Greek] A Couple of Questions

Richard Ghilardi qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
Mon Jun 30 14:47:14 EDT 2003

Hi b-greekers,

1) Thayer's Corrected Edition of 1889 has a Greek quote in it which I
find rather puzzling:

ATELES OUDEN OUDENOS METRON

I would English this as:

"The incomplete serves as standard measure for nothing."

If I've gotten this right, Thayer was an incredibly modest man. His
"incomplete" work stood as the standard lexical "measure" for nearly 70
years (at least in the English-speaking world) until BAG came along in
1957! This is a very long time indeed considering the revolution in
lexical studies that took place in the first half of the 20th century.
(I'm not trying to build an apologetic for Thayer, but merely making some
observations.) One more thing. Where does this quote come from?

2) I found a quote from Oliver Cromwell recently which looked like it
might go easily into Greek:

"He who ceases to be better, ceases to be good."

My Greek rendering:

AMEINWN EINAI hO PAUSAMENOS EPAUSATO AGAQOS

Could this be improved?
Is it necessary to repeat EINAI in the independent clause?
Should AMEINWN and AGAQOS be accusative? (AMEINONA, AGAQON)
Would it be better (no pun intended) to use BELTIWN rather than AMEINWN?

Yours in His grace,

Richard Ghilardi -- qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
New Haven, CT USA