[B-Greek] hETEROS or ALLOS

Steven Lo Vullo slovullo at mac.com
Sun Jun 29 01:29:51 EDT 2003

On Saturday, June 28, 2003, at 08:57  PM, waldo slusher wrote:

> Next, Koine scholars, some anyway, indicate that the
> Classical distinction of these two words was no longer
> observed. Suppose that a NT writer wanted to make this
> distinction in a particular passage, how could he do
> so? Maybe my question is better written: can a NT
> writer bring out the Classical distinction between
> hETEROS and ALLOS, and if so, how?

Hi Waldo:

My understanding is that the distinction was not **generally
observed**, but that in certain contexts **may have been** observed.
One such example set forth by many is that of Gal 1.6-7, where it may
be that Paul is describing the "gospel" the Galatians were turning to
as another of a different sort (hETERON) from his, and not another
(ALLO) of the same sort as his.