[B-Greek] Present participle

mark lama markosl80 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 28 18:45:51 EDT 2003

To add to what Carl wrote, another thing worth pointing out is that the participle MELLONTWN in this verse (Col. 2:17) is not being used adverbially, in close connection with ESTIN, but substantivally. That is, TWN MELLONTWN could be considered the genitive of a neuter plural noun, TA MELLONTA, "the future things." The present participle construes with SKIA here, "a shadow of the future (things)", just as any other genitive noun would (one could, for instance, imagine the phrase SKIA TOU CRISTOU, "a shadow of Christ).

CARIS KAI EIRHNH,

Mark Lama

t.j.logan at highstream.net wrote:
I am trying to get a handle on the present participle

MELLONTOON (to come) in Col 2:17

Col 2:17
17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.
NASU

Col 2:16-17
17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come;
NIV

I understand a present participle has no time of itself but is dependent upon the time of the main verb

My understanding is the present participle would be of the same time as the main verb

I take the main verb to be estin (are)

Looking at the translations however most seem to treat the present participle as refering to future time some overtly speak of the future

How am I to reconcile this ?

Please help

Tom Logan

B-Greek mailing list