[B-Greek] Present participle

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Jun 28 12:01:25 EDT 2003

At 10:33 AM -0400 6/28/03, <t.j.logan at highstream.net> wrote:
>I am trying to get a handle on the present participle
>
>MELLONTWN (to come) in Col 2:17

We normally use -W- to distinguish Omega from Omicron. If you haven't
hitherto,you should review the BG-FAQ regarding plain-text-ASCII
transliteration generally used in list messages at:

	http://ibiblio.org/bgreek/faq.txt

>Col 2:17
>17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance
>belongs to Christ.
>NASU
>
>Col 2:16-17
> 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come;
>NIV
>

>I understand a present participle has no time of itself but is dependent
>upon the time of the main verb
>
>My understanding is the present participle would be of the same time as
>the main verb
>
>I take the main verb to be estin (are)
>
>Looking at the translations however most seem to treat the present
>participle as refering to future time some overtly speak of the future
>
>How am I to reconcile this  ?

Yes, it's a present participle, but the verb MELLW, particularly in the
participle, has come in Hellenistic Greek to be an equivalent of ESOMAI, so
that TWN MELLONTWN = TWN ESOMENWN OR TWN GENHSOMENWN (TWN GENHQHSOMENWN has
the same sense), "of things that will be/will come to pass."

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/