[B-Greek] Present participle

t.j.logan at highstream.net t.j.logan at highstream.net
Sat Jun 28 10:33:09 EDT 2003

I am trying to get a handle on the present participle

MELLONTOON (to come) in Col 2:17

Col 2:17
17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.
NASU

Col 2:16-17
 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come;
NIV

I understand a present participle has no time of itself but is dependent upon the time of the main verb

My understanding is the present participle would be of the same time as the main verb

I take the main verb to be estin (are)

Looking at the translations however most seem to treat the present participle as refering to future time some overtly speak of the future

How am I to reconcile this  ?

Please help

Tom Logan