[B-Greek] ARCITRIKLINOS

bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca bertdehaan at gosympatico.ca
Fri Jun 27 06:55:01 EDT 2003

I have found it easier to remember the meaning of a word if I know which words were used to form it (even if the meaning does not equal the sum of its parts).
When I came across ARCITRIKLINOS (John 2:9) I was puzzled how these three word can come to mean -head waiter-. The first part is obviously related to ARCWN -ruler-, no problem there.
The last part is related to KLINH -bed-. Maybe there is a connection with table ie; waiting at tables (serving)?
The middle part TRI really got me wondering. What does three have to do with anything here?
Can someone help me out please?
(I suspect I'll remember the meaning now anyway due to the fact that it got me wondering).
Thank you
Bert de Haan.