[B-Greek] Mapping Language changes

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Jun 25 10:21:12 EDT 2003

At 1:23 PM +0100 6/25/03, Paul Toseland wrote:
>Hi Carl.
>
>You  wrote,
>
> >It is certainly true, as Brian mentions above and as I noted
> >in a message yesterday, that the so-called "Second-Sophistic
> >and its "Atticist" influence retarded the completion of several
> >changes which had begun to take place three centuries or
> >more earlier.
>
>Brian Boland rightly dates the Second Sophisitc to 'about
>50-250'. However, given that many of the New Testament
>documents were written before 70 A.D., it  is probably worth
>noting that, citing compelling evidence form Philo, Bruce Winter
>has demonstrated that  this movement was 'already  flowering
>if not  flourishing' in the first half of the first century:
>
> Winter, B. W., 'Philo and Paul Among the Sophists',
>*New York : Cambridge University Press, 1997.*; the quote
>is from p 4.

This begs a couple questions, both of which are questionably within the
parameters of appropriate list-discussion, although the original questions
regarding relative dating of spelling, morphology and syntactical
constructions surely DOES fall within list guidelines: (1) while the
undisputed letters of Paul are unquestionably earlier than 70 A.D., many--I
know there are exceptions--would assert that the gospel of Mark is close to
that date and that the other gospels all date to the second half of the
first century; (2) I really don't think that we can assume that the scribes
at work on the NT MS tradition preserved the orthography and morphology of
their prototypes intact without making adjustments to their own conventions
of pronunciation and writing. Quite apart from all that, I would doubt that
the writers of the NT with the exception of Luke and perhaps the author of
Hebrews were very likely affected by the grammatical and rhetorical
principles enunciated in the Second Sophistic.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/