[B-Greek] Mapping Language changes

Glendon Gross gross at xinetd.ath.cx
Wed Jun 25 00:29:33 EDT 2003

While I don't know the answer to the question Carl raises, I can't help
wondering if anyone has done a study based on radiocarbon dating of actual
manuscripts, by correlating the frequency of words used with actual dates
of manuscripts.  I am aware that BDAG seems to be universally accepted as an
authority regarding the statistical occurrences of words in various texts,
but I wonder if Walter Bauer gave any thought to the progressive
morphology of the words, as a function of the dates of his primary
sources.  I must admit this is one area in which I can see the usefulness
of computers as a tool to facilitate the management of the volume of
statistical comparisons that would be necessary to produce a database that
would be able to show us the frequency of any Greek word's usage as a
function of time.  No doubt this would be in the realm of the
lexicographer.  It is definitely outside my area of expertise.  I wonder
if anyone has used statistical methods to calculate the standard deviation
of word forms in a given manuscript?

Would there be any possible benefit in trying to go back to the primary
sources in order to attempt to express the relative frequency of
individual Greek words as a function of time, or is this an area which is
already "sown up" by the canon of accepted references on the subject?

Regards,

Glendon Gross
Amateur Greek Student