[B-Greek] Hebrews 8:13 "decayeth and waxeth old"

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Jun 24 13:19:12 EDT 2003

At 12:22 PM -0400 6/24/03, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>At 06:13 PM 6/23/2003, Ben and Jo Crick wrote:
>>  EN TWi LEGEIN *KAINHN* PEPALAIWKEN     THN PRWTHN:
>>  In [the] saying "New"  he-has-made-old the First [Covenant]:
>>
>>  TO DE PALAIOUMENON      KAI GHRASKON EGGUS      AFANISMOU.
>>  so what-is-becoming-old and obsolete is-near-to disappearance.
>
>[ !! SNIP !! ]
>
>>  The verb GHRASKW means to become elderly and feeble; geriatric (our word
>>  Geriatric comes from GHR and IATREIA, elderly-man and healing). Of
>> things and
>>  institutions it means to become obsolescent and outdated.
>
>I like the following note from A.T. Robertson's Word Pictures:
>
>   GERASKW is old verb from GERAS (age) like GERWN (old man) and refers
>   to the decay of old age so that both ideas appear here in opposition
>   to KAINOS (PALAIOS) and NEOS (GERAIOS).

The only problem here is that, although the root is certainly GER/GHR, the
vowel is different in different words; it's GHRASKW and GHRAS but GERWN and
GERAIOS. There's another word that may be related, GERAS which means
something like "venerability" or "indicator of prestige" which is of some
importance in Homeric Greek as the word for Chryseis and Briseis as the
women who were part of the spoils of battle allotted to Agamemnon and
Achilles respectively as special prizes that were tokens of their
privileged status among the Achaeans assembled at Troy.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/