[B-Greek] tenses of GINOMAI

Barry Hofstetter nebarry.bh at verizon.net
Sun Jun 22 07:42:34 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zhang Jia Jun" <nuovocp2 at singnet.com.sg>
To: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu>
Cc: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2003 7:37 AM
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] tenses of GINOMAI

> The use of "deponent" is somewhat an element which has however been used by
> Machen in his manual on how to learn NT Greek. While trying to learn my
> Latin, via John Collins, the use of "deponent verbs" as a means to teach the
> students seem though to be actually very common.

With all due respect to Dr. Conrad (and I mean that -- he often makes valuable
contributions to this list), the concept of "deponent" goes all the way back to
the ancient grammarians.  Regardless of the meaning or usage of the forms (which
appears to be Dr. Conrad's point), on the formal level it refers to a verb which
normally has no active forms associated with it. In Greek, one can have either
middle or passive deponents, and some verbs will be deponent in one or more
stems without being deponent in another.

Again, that is not to say that Dr. Conrad isn't making a valuable point with his
research (which, unfortunately, I haven't had time to evaluate), simply that for
the beginning student have a handy description of the way these verbs work
formally is, well, handy!

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Professor of Theological and Biblical Studies
    The Center for Urban Theological Studies, Philadelphia, PA
Associate Pastor, Chinese Gospel Church
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1yfx7/