[B-Greek] Luke 6:42 partial

Steven Lo Vullo slovullo at mac.com
Sun Jun 22 02:34:34 EDT 2003

On Saturday, June 21, 2003, at 10:12  PM, waldo slusher wrote:

> ADELFE, AFES EKBALW TO KARFOS EN TWi OFQALMWi SOU...
>
> AFES is 2nd person
> EKBALW is 1st person

It's important also to note that EKBALW is a subjunctive.

> Is the idea here something like:
>
> "Brother, (you) let/allow + I remove
>
> But the "I remove" (1st person) becomes "me remove"

Only in translation.

> Hence, "(you) let me remove the speck from your
> eye..."
>
> Related to this question: Are these two finite verbs,
> side by side, an unusual construction?

I have seen this particular construction only with the second person
singular and second person plural aorist imperative of AFIHMI. The
definition for AFIHMI under which this construction falls in BDAG is
"5. to convey a sense of distancing through an allowable margin of
freedom, **leave it to someone to do something, let, let go, allow,
tolerate**." It seems to me that the subjunctive follows because what
is requested is contingent, i.e., there is no certainty that permission
to remove the speck will be granted. Syntactically speaking, I would
take the subjunctive clause as an object clause dependent on AFES. AFES
expresses request for permission, EKBALW, KTL, expresses the content of
the request. The idea is something like, "allow (that) I may remove the
speck."