[B-Greek] Luke 6:42 partial

Timothy Gaden tgaden at netspace.net.au
Sat Jun 21 23:38:48 EDT 2003

We are dealing here with two imperatives, both aorist, one bog-standard and
the second "hortatory" (i.e. "let me...").

Porter, Idioms of the Greek NT, comments "the singular form of the hortatory
subjunctive is uncommon, and usually follows an imperative, as in other
Hellenistic Greek". (p.58).  He cites Lk 6:42 as one of the examples, adding
the following trans - "permit me to remove the speck".

Hope that helps,

Tim.