[B-Greek] John 8:51 "never see death"

mark lama markosl80 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 20 16:41:18 EDT 2003

Schmuel <schmuel at escape.com> wrote:

Another question :-)

John 8::51-52
Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.
Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil.
Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest,
If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

In both these passage there are Greek words untranslated in most versions the- "eis aion"
never see death "for ever"
never taste of death "to the age"

In your view..

What is the significance of these two words, in this passage, and also John 11:26, in terms of ..
translation
doctrine
idiomatic usage

It seems that the hearers were simply thinking in terms of physical death (disregarding any
ideas of resurrection, ie. physical death not being permanent) as they immediately switched
into discussing Abraham, who had died physically. Ergo, I wonder if eis aion is basically
idiomatic, not changing the verse substantively ?

The BDAG has this to say on the use of AIWN in the two passages that you referred to: "1b of time to come which, if it has no end is also known as eternity... EIS TON AIWNA... to eternity, eternally, in perpetuity... In Johannine usage the term is used formulaically without emphasis on eternity...never again thirst Jn 4:14; never see death 8:15f; cp. 11:26..."

CARIS KAI EIRHNH,

Mark Lama