[B-Greek] What is the VORLAGE of the LXX?

Barry Hofstetter nebarry.bh at verizon.net
Fri Jun 20 07:59:27 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Engmann" <phil-eng at ighmail.com>
To: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 1:02 AM
Subject: [B-Greek] What is the VORLAGE of the LXX?

> What is the VORLAGE of the LXX? i.e. the source from which the LXX was
> translated?

I think this question goes way beyond our list purposes here, but briefly,
nobody knows.  That is wasn't the Masoretic Text, but something closer to the
text types revealed in the DDS is generally agreed, however.

Here's a biblio:

Tov, Emmanuel.  *The Text Critical Use of the Septuagint in Biblical Research.*
Jerusalem: Simor, Ltd., 1981.

Jobes, Karen & Silva, Moises.  *A Introduction to the Septuagint.*  Grand
Rapids: Baker, 2000.

Jellicoe, Sidney.  *The Septuagint in Modern Study.*  Winona Lake, IN.:
Eisenbrauns, 1989.

Swete, H.B.  *Introduction to the Old Testament in Greek.*  Peabody, MA:
Hendrickson, 1989 (reprint: Cambridge University Press edition, 1914).

I think it's interesting that Swete has the technically most correct title!

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Professor of Theological and Biblical Studies
    The Center for Urban Theological Studies, Philadelphia, PA
Associate Pastor, Chinese Gospel Church
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1yfx7/