[B-Greek] transcription to Greek from semitic languages - case endings, hebraisti

Schmuel schmuel at escape.com
Thu Jun 19 09:29:52 EDT 2003

Hi b-greek,

   I have a question about words in Greek that are done as transcription (or, if you prefer,
transliteration) from Hebrew or Aramaic to Greek.  In a sense it is an overall, general translation question, and I will use one Scripture passage as the example.

John 19:13
When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus forth, and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called the Pavement, but in the Hebrew, Gabbatha.

Now, would we expect the Greek word "Gabbatha" to have Greek grammatical structure,
in terms of its case ending ?  ie.. Would such or a case ending be expected to be added to
a Greek grammatical form ? Or would we expect the word to simply be brought over
to sound as close as possible to the source language ?

(Yes, this is part of a raging debate about Hebraic or Aramaic origins of certain words
 in the New Testament, and the definition of "hebraisti", my purpose here is
 to understand what we would expect in the Greek, and how "solid" or "flexible"
 our understandings of this are).

All help appreciated...

The topic is fairly interesting on a whole, and some folks conjecture based upon
what is considered "correct" to my question above
    .... so I figured I would ask the experts :-)

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY
www.messiahresearch.com