[B-Greek] MHDEN in 1 Clem 20.2

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Jun 19 05:36:20 EDT 2003

At 11:49 PM -0500 6/18/03, Steven Lo Vullo wrote:
>Hi all:
>
>1 Clem 20.2 hHMERA TE KAI NUX TON TETAGMENON hUP' AUTOU DROMON
>DIANUOUSIN, MHDEN ALLHLOIS EMPODIZONTA.
>
>BDAG calls the use of MHDEN here an "accusative of the inner object."
>As I understand that terminology, it is equivalent to "cognate
>accusative." I have always understood the cognate accusative to be a
>direct object that shares lexically or conceptually the idea of the
>verb. The verb with which MHDEN here functions is EMPODIZONTA, which in
>this context means something like "hinder," and with the dative
>complement ALLHLOIS means something like "hinder one another," i.e.,
>day and night finish the course appointed by God without hindering one
>another. My question is, if the accusative of inner object shares
>lexically or conceptually the idea of the verb, is it really
>appropriate to call MHDEN here an accusative of the inner object? It
>seems to me that it is functioning as a full-blown adverb, "in no way
>hindering." It may be that I am just confused about the terminology.
>I'd appreciate any feedback.

Steven, for what it's worth, I really do think this is more a matter of
terminology than anything else; certainly MHDEN is functioning here exactly
as does POLLA with any AGANAKTEW or PENTE STADIA with ELAUNW. In terms of
the grammar I learned, the "cognate accusative" (QUSIAS QUW) is a
subspecies of the "internal accusative"or "adverbial accusative"--but then,
I recall Joshua Whatmough's admonition that "all accusatives are
fundamentally adverbial in that they indicate the limits of the verbal
force of a verb or other kind of word that has a verbal force. It doesn't
hurt to be cognizant of the extent to which much of our grammatical
terminology is rather arbitrary.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/